Call for facilitators for morning Meet ups at National Gathering!
On July 1st, 2nd and 3rd, interoccupy will be organizing meet-ups from 10am – noon. In these meet-ups, people who are doing similar work across the country, can come together in one place to network, share successes and challenges of the work folks have been doing so far, and have strategic conversations about how to move forward both locally and together nationally. The meet-ups based on topics where Occupy organizing is happening (e.g. housing, neighborhoods, food, health).
If you would like to facilitate a meet up, please fill out this form.
The meet-ups will be lightly facilitated with the hope that conversations can continue during open space times throughout the remainder of the week. Interoccupy is also happy to host continued conversations after the gathering is over.
Interoccupy seeks to foster communication between individuals, Working Groups and local General Assemblies, across the movement. You can find out more here.
We are looking for 14 facilitators each morning. Facilitators will be responsible for introducing the conversation, explaining how the conversation can continue at the gathering and through interoccupy, sending around a contact sheet for folks who choose to remain connected and returning materials to the interoccupy table. You can find a more detailed explanation of the facilitation roles here. You can find the full description and schedule for the meet-ups here.
A team of people from throughout the movement identified the categories for meet-ups based on available data such as occupy research’s “why I occupy” and other sources. Interoccupy seeks to remain neutral, and therefore will help facilitate conversations around all these categories. The categories are intended to be broad enough to network a substantial number of individuals throughout the movement, but narrow enough to connect folks working on similar work. If individuals choose to plan additional meet-ups, interoccupy is happy to provide our services if they so choose.
If you sign up to facilitate a meet-up, please pick up all the necessary materials (contact list, facilitation roles, etc) at the interoccupy table at least the day before the meet-up is scheduled. You can also sign up to facilitate a meet up at the interoccupy table at the national gathering at least a day before the meet-up is scheduled.
If you would like to facilitate a meet up, please fill out this form.
Thank you and see you in Philly!
The interoccupy team.
Meet Up Categories
2) Faith – faith based organizing, issues related to faith
4) LGBTQI Caucus (safe space for people who identify)
5) Meeting and facilitation
6) Finance – banks, alternative economics, etc
7) Electoral Politics – money in politics, running for office, government
10) Collective Liberation
14) En Espanol
1) People Of Color Caucus (safe space for people who identify this way)
2) Anti-Racism White Allies
5) Food – food justice, food service to the movement/public
9) Accounting – internal movement finances
10) Aid – Alternative Community, mutual aid, etc
11) Media – PR, people’s media, etc
13) Occupation and space
1) Working Class and Poor People’s caucus – Grew up poor and working class/are poor or working class (safe space for people who identify)
2) Environment and Energy
3) Law, Policy, Austerity (taxes)
5) Health – public health, community health
7) Mass Incarceration (what time is the mumia stuff happening? Don’t want it to overlap)
9) Interpersonal – community, relationships, safer spaces
10) Neighborhoods – neighborhood organizing
13) Rights, Constitution – human rights, indigenous rights, right to assemble, right to free speech, etc
14) International Solidarity
Regions (Need to find time in the schedule for these)
2) New England
8) South Central
Meet Ups Description
On July 1st, 2nd and 3rd, interoccupy is organizing meet-ups from 10am – noon. In these meet-ups, people who are doing similar work across the country, can come together in one place to network, share successes and challenges of the work folks have been doing so far, and have strategic conversations about how to move forward both locally and together nationally. The meet-ups based on topics where Occupy organizing is happening (e.g. housing, neighborhoods, food, health).
The meet-ups will be lightly facilitated with the hope that conversations can continue during open space times throughout the remainder of the week. We need 14 facilitators each morning. Facilitators will be responsible for introducing the conversation, explaining how the conversation can continue at the gathering and through interoccupy.net, sending around a contact sheet and returning materials to the interoccupy.net table.
You can find a full schedule and description of meet up categories here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hQvgMbzpTbPHpw57qRV8HhmzRP_BdZdyfyA0VQPOEbc/edit
Please remember to pick up the materials for your meet-up at the interoccupy.net table the day before you are scheduled to facilitate.
The facilitator will be responsible for the following things at the meet-ups:
Introduce the conversation
- The idea of this meeting is to connect individuals working on similar issue, learn together about what is working and what is not, and think strategically about how to work locally and together in the future.
- We hope that the conversations we have during this meet-up will only be the beginning of our communication and coordination together.
- We encourage folks to identify specific conversations to continue during the remainder of the week. If you do want to have a specific conversation related to this topic, we encourage you to share the time and space for that conversation before this meet-up ends so everyone who wants to can join.
- We also hope these conversations continue long after the national gathering is over. We encourage folks to continue communicating and coordinating through interoccupy.net, where you can request a one- time call, an ongoing call series or a coordination hub to be hosted on the interoccupy website, which you can use to communicate with others, host calls, post updates to the site, share events on the calendar, share information, run a mailing list, and other things.
- To learn more about how to use interoccupy visit the interoccupy table which is (in the middle of Indy mall?) or attend the training on July 1st (irrelevant after the meet-ups on the 1st).
- In an effort to keep the conversation going, we encourage you to sign up on the contact list for this meet-up going around. With this contact list, we can do a few things (put an x on the contact sheet next to which of these you want to be a part of:
- Start a list for this tag (like a google group)
- E-mail this group when a call or coordination hub is requested using this tag (ie: the name of the meet-up).
- Add you to the interoccupy announcements list/newsletter (announces calls and new hubs)
- Ask if anyone wants to be a notetaker for the group
We leave this part of the conversation up to the group. If there are less than 25 attendees, we suggest you conduct the conversation as a full group. If there are more, consider breaking up into smaller groups of 8-10 and having time for report backs at the end of the conversation (start at around 11:20)
We encourage everyone to answer the first of the questions below. The other questions can be discussed by giving everyone in the circle a chance to answer, or taking stack and letting the conversation flow naturally.
- Please introduce yourself, name, where you are from and what you work on related to this issue/why you work on this issue
- Please share successes and challenges you have had working on this issue
- What are opportunities we have to work together/learn from each other?
- How do we/can we connect our work to the broader movement?
Close the conversation (Start the closing at 11:45)
- Has everyone who wanted to signed up on the contact list?
- If anyone wants to continue a conversation this week, please share the time and location now
- If anyone plans to start a call or coordination hub on interocccupy after the gathering is over, please share what that is now (please write an x next to the name on the contact list for anyone who wants to start a coordination hub).
- If you would like to learn more about how to continue the conversation using interoccupy.net, please visit the interoccupy table in the middle of indy mall.
- Thanks everyone!
Return the contact sheet and notes
- Please return the contact sheet and notes to the interoccupy table in the middle of Indy mall
Source: Email at squares mailing list.