17 August, 2013
The Other Democracy: “For us, Democracy is Not about Election Season and Candidates’ Campaigns”
· “We did not have a theory first, our theory is the result of our practice”
· For us, democracy is not about election season and candidates.
· We start from small to bigger in everything.
· We don’t have minority people dissatisfied because their proposal was not voted for.
· Even our children apply democracy.
read more »
15 August, 2013
“Our Weapons are Our Words, Our Thinking, Our Hearts.”
“We are the Guardians of our Mother Land – it is not a commodity, it’s our mother.”
On their third day of classes in the Freedom School, Zapatistas “confessed” that they are armed – their weapons are their words, their thoughts and their hearts.
The topic of this session was resistance – how their autonomous communities resist three different, simultaneous and constant kinds of attacks: (1) ideological, (2) economical, and (3) military.
read more »
14 August, 2013
On the second day of sessions, our six Zapatista teachers from the autonomous communities talked about the Women’s Revolutionary Law which was created since the beginning of their fight (see below the 10 Principles of that Act which was made public since their uprising in 1994).
1. Women, regardless of their race, creed, color or political affiliation, have a right to participate in the revolutionary struggle in any way that their desire and capacity determine.
2. Women have the right to work and receive a just salary.
3. Women have the right to decide the number of children they have and care for.
4. Women have the right to participate in the matters of the community and to take charge if they are freely and democratically elected.
5. Women and their children have the right to primary attention in their health and nutrition.
6. Women have the right to education.
7. Women have the right to choose their partner and are not obliged to enter into marriage.
8. Women have the right to be free of violence from both relatives and strangers.
Rape and attempted rape will be severely punished.
9. Women will be able to occupy positions of leadership in the organization and hold military ranks in the revolutionary armed forces.
10. Women will have all the rights and obligations which the revolutionary laws and regulations give.
read more »